“For at least the past four decades, most Americans have been able to ignore the poor and deny the extent of poverty. Middle class people would disparage low-income people, low-income people would dog the working poor, and the working poor would beat down on the homeless poor—because we all want to feel like we have some sort of stature in life.”
In this excerpt from Tavis Smiley & Cornel West's “The Rich and the Rest of Us." I felt as those there was an excessive amount over generalization to express an opinion. I can see where the authors are coming from in this statement but there is no way it's true. I feel as though this is a book that should be read by all Americans to cause the more to be more conscious about modern poverty but statements such as these puts every class at guilt, which could be a huge turn off and a bone critiques can chew on
No comments:
Post a Comment